Laptop Screen

nuevo 11:18 14 Aug 2005

I have a new Sony vaio laptop. Intermittently, the screen will "fade" and then "brighten" (for a few seconds). I am on mains power. Is there something I need to adjust? Thanks

palinka 11:43 14 Aug 2005

It may depend on where you rest your hands on the keyboard.
On my laptop there is a key (actually 2 keys) for adjusting brightness: Hold down the "Fn" key (in my case this is bottom right and Fn is coloured blue) and at same time press another blue coloured key looking like a symbol for the sun, but empty in the middle. (I know this sounds weird, you'll recognise it when you see it). To darken use the same process but press the "solid" sun symbol.
Maybe you happen to have pressed these keys withourt realising it.

nuevo 11:53 14 Aug 2005

Palinka
thanks for the response. I am actually using a separate keyboard (which I do rest on!) so I don't suppose that this is the answer. I have adjusted the brightness as you suggested, just in case this will fix it. Thanks again.

Methedrine 12:41 14 Aug 2005

If the laptop is still under warranty, send it back. If not, you may need a new inverter and they only cost a few pounds compared to the cost of a new screen.

nuevo 12:57 14 Aug 2005

Methedrine
thanks for the info. I have followed palinka's suggestion and this seems to have fixed the prob. Thanks to both of you.

Methedrine 13:16 14 Aug 2005

Glad we could help. That'll be a green tick then please, old lad ;P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?