Laptop running slow

robbiecom 02:42 29 Dec 2010

I know this has probably been answered before but I can't find it! I have an Acer Aspire 5315 with a 550 Celeron processor running at 2Ghz with a 1MB L2 cache, 1GB DDR2 RAM with a 120GB hard drive. The OS is Vista. I am getting an awful lot of "Not Respondings", esp when on the net. Generally the comp runs REALLY slow! Step by step page build up etc. Any ideas? (I have run system tools such as defragger, anti-spyware etc etc.)

tullie 08:15 29 Dec 2010

Until you get a more thourough answer,i suggest puting more memory in and give it a good scan with CCleaner,at least CCleaner for now.

mooly 08:41 29 Dec 2010

2GB and Vista should fly... it's exactly what I use, and on an Acer too.

I would open "reliability and performance monitor", just type that phrase into Vista "start search" box bottm left and it will appear.
Open it and use the drop downs for CPU and Disk and see if anything is using a lot of resources.

With the PC idling the CPU should be around 2 to 3 %. Disk activity should be minimal.

Do you have a lot of security applications installed and running ?
Do the not responding messages require you to close the program or does it recover itself ?

onthelimit 08:55 29 Dec 2010

Run through FruitBat's list click here

robbiecom 12:29 29 Dec 2010

Thanks Guys, I will try the suggestions today and get back to you. Thanks again!

robbiecom 13:38 29 Dec 2010

My CPU is all over the place, sometimes as low as 2% and sometimes (quite frequently) as high as 100%. My disk activity is minimal but my physical memory is running between 80% and 90%. I quite often get "high disk usage" messages through Norton (my only security software - apart from Windows) It seems as if Incredimail and Rapport are the two pieces of software that are using up most of my resources

robbiecom 13:41 29 Dec 2010

I have run CCleaner which hs cleared 116mb and tidied up my registry. Am now looking online for RAM prices - any suggestions apart from EBuyer or Play.com?

kidsis 13:49 29 Dec 2010

try crucial.

birdface 14:12 29 Dec 2010

If still slow opening pages go to command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns then press the enter button on the keyboard.
it should tell you DNS has been flushed if so reboot and see if it works any better.

tullie 14:32 29 Dec 2010
  mooly 18:40 29 Dec 2010

I'm not sure I would be looking at throwing more RAM at the problem.
80 to 90% in use... that to me needs looking at.

Can you use msconfig to disable the items you mention to see if that helps. Worth looking to see just what does load at start up anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?