Laptop Running Slow

  KW2K 20:56 20 Nov 2007
Locked

Hi !
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on why my laptop is running incredably slow, and as well as that, it makes a sound like "Breaking Glass" when it is logging into windows and also when I shutdown the Laptop. My Norton AV is up to date and shows no security risks, I've run Adware and that is ok to, as well as Windows Defender,any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Regards.

  Technotiger 21:11 20 Nov 2007

Perhaps you should check in Task Manager under the Processes Tab and see if anything is hogging the CPU. System idle process is the only item which should be showing about 90-98%, the rest should be mostly between 0 and 3 or 4%.

  Crash 21:19 20 Nov 2007

Whats the systems spec inc os?
How many programs are running in the background?
Have you run disk defragmenter lately?

  birdface 21:50 20 Nov 2007

I don't know about the noise But Norton and W/Defender will slow your laptop down What other Security programs have you got running including your Firewall,And like Technotiger says System Idle process should be showing about 97% and the rest about 3% it means 97% of your cpu would be free.Make sure you have not left a Disc in the drive.maybe run C Cleaner it might get some of the junk.

  KW2K 21:51 20 Nov 2007

Hi, Thanks to Technotiger & Crash for some input here. The Laptop is Win XP, and viewing Task Manager does not show anything unusual up, the usual 0 to 3 or 4%. I haven't run Disk Defrag yet, but I will. I notice that when I switch the laptop on and windows loads, the hard disk light flashes for ages, so obviously doing something but not sure what. I thought maybe AV updates etc.. but they are all up to date. I can see a Re-Install of windows in the horizon, but would rather not need to go there !!

Regards.

  birdface 21:53 20 Nov 2007

Get Rid of some of the junk.I should have said.

  Crash 22:00 20 Nov 2007

what about ram? With a lot of hard disk activity it sounds as if the disk needs defragmented or else norton and the likes are doing startup tests which will slow it down, try shutting some of the non-essential programs down e.g windows defender, adware on startup. What else is running in the system tray?

  KW2K 22:09 20 Nov 2007

Hi Crash, What is the command that I can type into the run command that lets you specify what loads at start up, its something like msc ? Can't remember.

Cheers.

  paul€ 22:13 20 Nov 2007

msconfig

  Technotiger 22:13 20 Nov 2007

msconfig

  Crash 22:16 20 Nov 2007

Yeah its msconfig I stopped things like itunes helper and things like that running cause you don't really need them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?