laptop and router on a budget?

john the scone 14:38 04 Jan 2009

hi there, i'm trying to help my mum get her first laptop and wireless router for £400 or less. she has a talktalk broadband connection but no other computer 9 desktop). she wants to go on the internet mainly, but my kids will want to watch movies and play games on it when they stay. i have looked about but i'm not sure which wireless routers will work as talktalks are quite expensive. also not sure to opt for cheaper dual core and get a graphics card or try for a core2duo and intergrated graphics.
any thoughts or insights would be appreciated, thanks

MAJ 14:45 04 Jan 2009

If you don't mind me saying so, john the scone, stuff what the kid's want. Get your Mum the Dell 1545 that's on sale at PC World/Curry's at the moment. I bought one and it's brilliant. Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 3GBs of RAM with 250 GB hard drive (£399). It'll keep her going for years to come. Then go and buy any (ADSL) wireless modem router, Netgear or Linksys, would be my recommendations, for around £30 - £40.

User-1229748 14:50 04 Jan 2009

and if you were to buy a laptop from off the high street then be cheeky and ask them to throw a router in with the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017