laptop restoration ? big problem

a member 09:18 11 Nov 2006

I have been asked by a friend to sort her laptop , it would not respond , found over 200 spyware problems and gawd knows how many viruses ,the problem is I could not back up any of the files as the mouse would not work along with only basic explorer functions ,and neither usb or the cd drive were working , i decided to do a restore ,
it restored ok all functions working again , but all the user files including important school projects are now in a folder named (old file structure) and i cannot access them , windows explorer wont allow access , i think it is something to do with user protection , it says access denied and something about cannot read disc.
I can access and clearly see all of the contents with a program called explorer xp2 but still cannot get at them .
I am getting pretty desperate now ,any help would be great .
the only folders i cannot get into are the users individual folders ,5 users in all.

VoG II 09:20 11 Nov 2006
  Graham. 09:21 11 Nov 2006

Could this be User Administration permissions, I wonder? Try setting up a second Admin. account.

a member 09:58 11 Nov 2006

thanks all...... VoG your link was the answer , had my heart in my mouth for a few minutes but it worked perfectly , i will print that out for future use , (hopefully never).

thanks again for to all for your help and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone