Laptop Repair

5starred 07:46 26 Sep 2007

Been having trouble now with my Toshiba Satellite P30 laptop and it is out of warranty by a couple of months worse luck. Sent it off to a Toshiba authorised repair centre and got the quote for repair back yesterday. The quote is for it says
" NEW PCB - DC-IN PIN LOOSE; PSU - CABLE DAMAGE "

They state that materials required are:
1. M/B ASSY W/O CPU
2. AC-ADAPTER 120W 3P

Total cost including VAT is £472.54 this seems very expensive to me but I'm no expert so was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?

A breakdown of the repairs costs is:
FREIGHT £20
MATERIALS £298.16
LABOUR £84
VAT @ 17.5% £70.38

281apple 08:09 26 Sep 2007

You said that "They state that materials required are:
1. M/B ASSY W/O CPU
2. AC-ADAPTER 120W 3P"

Since the materials is the big cost, why not go on the Net or to some local repair people and verify the prices they are quoting are reasonable for the material? You might find it much cheaper elsewhere.

silverous 12:00 26 Sep 2007

You could speak to Tony at Laptopbits (click here Tel 01772 454300 - he's always been a good source of laptop repair information to me.

I'm not surprised though as laptops are notoriously difficult to repair, you have to ask whether it would be cheaper to get a replacement at that price as something else could go wrong the day after you get it back.....

David4637 12:49 26 Sep 2007

You should consider buying a new lappy, at nearly £500 it is waste of money going for a repair. David

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 26 Sep 2007

If the mobo is cracked then you need a new mobo.

If DC plug is just loose these are quite cheap click here and can be soldered on the board and be superglued to help prevent becomming loose again.

The cost of repair of this type is usually mostly the labour coast for stripping and rebuilding the laptop and £84 is very cheap for that.

A generic AC adaptor with correct voltage and correct DC jack size can be obtained much cheaper than a replacement Toshiba adaptor. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?