Laptop "loses power" when using graphics card.

miaur 01:05 17 May 2017
Answered

Hi, lately i've started to have this problem where, if i'm on a program that uses the dedicated graphics card on my laptop, the laptop will behave as if it was unplugged (screen goes to unplugged brightness, performance will get worse, and even the "charging" indicator will show that i'm using my battery instead). As soon as I exit the program, the screen will light up again and everything will behave as it should.

At first i thought my power cord was loose, but soon i noticed that it only happened while the dedicated graphics card was being used.

System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model: GE70 2OC\2OE
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M

I've searched around, but this seems to be a pretty uncommon problem.

Any ideas?

wee eddie 10:02 17 May 2017

How old is the battery?

miaur 12:41 17 May 2017

It's as old as the laptop, so it'd be 4 years this summer. However, if I do the same without the battery, the problem is still there. Did it once without the battery on and as soon as I opened a game the computer shut off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:46 17 May 2017

Have a look at your power settings what are they showing?

wee eddie 13:14 17 May 2017

Just a wild guess: a 4 year old Graphics Card is not up to the requirements of the graphics being thrown at it these days.

miaur 13:29 17 May 2017

I've always had my power settings set to max, and I haven't changed anything lately. It's the first thing I checked when things started misbehaving.

As for the graphics card being old, it could be the case if i was complaining about me not being able to run games with good fps, but the problem I have is that the laptop gets "unplugged" while using the graphics card, enabling it's power limit and affecting my performance.

My laptop can run games such as league of legends at max with 110~ fps, yet while it's unplugged it'll run at 30-40. Same for csgo. The problem isn't my computer not being able to run the games, the problem is it getting unplugged while using my graphics card.

While on games everything will say that I'm unplugged, even the computer will say that I'm draining battery and the screen will change it's brightness to the unplugged mode one, but if I alt tab out of the game for a few seconds the screen will regain it's brightness and everything will say that my laptop is plugged once again, without touching the cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 17 May 2017

I suggest you change power settings and reboot.

then change power settings back to max and reboot again.

then see if it is still the same.

Jollyjohn 13:43 17 May 2017

I note this is a laptop - can you borrow another Power supply to test. You mentioned trying without a battery and the laptop shut down when a game opened, I strongly suspect the power supply.

miaur 13:44 17 May 2017

Worst part is that it happens randomly too. I just played a bit of csgo and these were my graphics card stats.

Temp is a bit high, but nothing outrageous, Gpu usage isn't even maxed. It'll just randomly act as if the computer was unplugged and everything will start working on it's "save power" mode.

miaur 21:03 01 Jun 2017
Answer

If anyone is wondering, it was a hardware problem. The motherboard's power intace was fried.

q33ny 20:42 03 Jun 2017

Thank you for sharing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer