Laptop processor upgrade

Blues Brothers 20:36 25 Feb 2005

I have an old dell latitude cpi d266xt laptop pc.I would like to upgrade the processor to something a little quicker. Can anyone tell me if this is possible and what speed of processor it could handle.

Thanks in advance.

BluesBrothers

Totally-braindead 20:42 25 Feb 2005

I'm not 100% certain but I think you probably can't upgrade the processor and even if you could it wouldn't be worth your while as the increase would be slight. You may however be able to add more memory and that would help to speed things up a bit.

woodchip 20:46 25 Feb 2005

Would it be worth the headache. You would not go much if any, also where would you buy a CPU they are changing every day. Look at this with a DVD writer
click here

Blues Brothers 20:46 25 Feb 2005

I want to be able to run win xp on it but i think i am right in saying that a 266 processor is being pushed to its limits.

Diodorus Siculus 20:57 25 Feb 2005

It will not be worth your while trying XP on that; Win2k will do with a decent amt of RAM (256MB +).

HAve you a spare £400 or so? Novatech have some laptops at that price.

Blues Brothers 21:19 25 Feb 2005

Unfortunately not -- i just have this old laptop that i was trying to speed up a little and use for armchair surfing and such like. I wanted to install xp to make it more compatible with the rest of my network.

Thanks for all your help though guys, its much appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 21:23 25 Feb 2005

Well, win2k will be similarly compatible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?