Laptop Problems

applecroc 17:00 28 Jan 2007

Hi there,

My friend has been having problems with her laptop all day. Firstly, while online her computer crashed. The computer wouldn't switch back on for a while. When it did the cursor was jammed and wouldn't work. Then after that began working her keyboard won't work. It's one problem after another but she hasn't had problems like this in the past except with getting online so this is very strange. Has had anyone else encountered similar problems or have any idea what could be wrong?

howard64 17:11 28 Jan 2007

a virus infection possibly

Matt.tt 17:18 28 Jan 2007

Hi, my laptop also went through a phase of throwing loads of similar problems as the ones you described above at me.
In the end It was narrowed down to viruses and spyware. Check you have some good, protection and virus and spyware scanners on the laptop, and Check they are up to date. If you have got that, be sure to run them, You never know it might help a bit....

FreeCell 20:09 28 Jan 2007

Try booting in Safe Mode to run any virus/spyware checking software.

applecroc 18:43 30 Jan 2007

Well since then, we managed to run an anti-virus scan and detected 6 virus's, one of which was major. Have since deleted that but the computer has played up and today the A drive seems to have disappeared all together from the computer? Anyone know how this could be retreived or what may have happened?

skidzy 19:00 30 Jan 2007

Is the A: drive a floppy drive ?

Can you also post any other issues you may have please.

applecroc 19:03 30 Jan 2007

Yep the A drive is a floppy drive. While trying to access this, the laptop is not acknowledging that it exists. Since removing the viruses from the computer, it has taken several attempts switching the computer on and sometimes the cursor will either not move or the keyboard won't work?

skidzy 19:06 30 Jan 2007

You may need to edit the registry,make sure you create a system restore point first.Then follow these guidelines click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?