laptop problem - shudown on xp reinstall

wky 16:34 09 Aug 2007

Hi I have an nx6125 laptop hp compaq. It has worked fine since forever, but I wanted to reinstall the operating system so it runs faster. I have done it before so I thought everything would be okay. I put the restore disk in which is an actual xp pro disk with sp2, it starts loading at bootup and at random times the laptop will power down, sometimes I get to the format partition screen, sometimes I don't get that far, it will just power down with no warning. I thought it might be a power problem but i've run other boot disks such as a boot and nuke boot disk to format the drive and that worked fine. I tried using a different xp disk, and that worked but it kind of froze at the last part of the installation at the part where it saves all the settings. So I try installing Linux Mandrake, first it says there's no cd device found so I found on the forums if I type in alt1 at a seperate options screen the install will work, I get as far as the format hda0 part and then the screen switches off, but the laptop seems to still have power etc, but nothing works. I'm beginning to think the hard drive has a problem and needs replacement. What do you think?

brundle 18:08 09 Aug 2007

Sounds like the first thing to check, run a manufacturer's diagnostic; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?