laptop problem with dvd/cd drive

rosie12 09:40 29 Apr 2005

Hi, I have a dell laptop running windows xp home. All of a sudden I have lost the cd drive usage. I cannot find it in my computer or device manager. It has completely disappeared?...There is no green light on it as there usually is. I have got the original cds that came with the machine, one of which is a diagnotic thingy and a driver cd but of course I can put it in as the drive isn't working. Any idea what I can do?...I have another machine, a desktop also running xp home.

Diodorus Siculus 10:07 29 Apr 2005

Can you enter the BIOS when booting the laptop? There may be something like "press del to enter setup". If so, have a look at the drives.

rosie12 10:13 29 Apr 2005

Hi, No I thing XP doesn't do this, does it?....sorry I am not too up on comps....

Diodorus Siculus 11:26 29 Apr 2005

There should be a way to enter the bios of all PCs / Laptops. Check the manual if you have one, or post the detais here and someone may tell you.

fitcher 14:35 29 Apr 2005

this problem can happen as it does now and again with my dell. if you release the disk caddie pull it out and make sure the two contacts are clean ,push it back in and restart .you should be fine .another thing is do you have dells own dvd playing software? .It looks like the new windows media centre, there is an eject button square in there .and I found, it can confuse the dvd player.as to what is in its drive .if you delete that programe you find it is worse ,so leave it on ...a bit confusing I know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?