Laptop Problem

Dreamingman 15:03 01 Jun 2003

I have a p266MMX Laptop (64Mb Ram, Win 95b), and am trying to install a new PCMCIA modem. I have installed it, but running diagnostics on the modem results in the above error, and of course Win 95 tells me the modem is busy, or being used by another programme when I attempt to dial. The port 3 is working fine, and in devices, there are no conflicts for the ports, modems or PCMCIA (although I did initially have to reistall the drivers for the card bus from the Win 95 CD).

Additionally, on boot, windows re-detects 'new hardware' (I assume the modem), reinstalls it, and then in devices, 2 modems appear, one with a conflict. Removing the conflicting one has no effect.

Does anyone know where I am going wrong, or what I should do next?

I am inclined just to reinstall win95 and start again - would this be a good solution? If so, is there any good sites to help me do this? The last time I wiped mt cdrive I had trouble getting the PC to recognise the CDROM in DOS, and had to install win3.1 from floppy just to get the generic drivers for the CDROM.

Sorry it's a bit long-winded, but I have to get something done by tonight, as I need to take it abroad tomorrow.... HELP!

Many Thanks!

peterfry 15:19 01 Jun 2003

for a star dont reinstall windows try contacting the manufacturer of the modem or get a new modem if the modem is internal try external modems an vice versa

wee eddie 17:39 01 Jun 2003

It is just a thought as I have been caught out when buying bits for my old W95 PC

I did not read the Minimum Specification.

bambam005 23:22 01 Jun 2003

uninstall and then reinstall the modem drivers with your virus scanner and firewall disabled and create a new connection , this should solve the 'new hardware wizard 'from popping up every time .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?