laptop power plug

damnthispc 19:47 07 Jul 2008

We have a Lenovo 3000 N200 laptop but unfortunately my youngest has managed to split the dc low voltage (20v 90w) power plug moulding and has exposed the wire inside.
It's well taped at the moment but i would like to get it fixed. Does any one know of a supplier of plugs or repair services, I'd rather look at the fix option first rather than spend £40 odd pounds on a new ac adaptor, unless of course the fix cost is comparable.

VCR97 19:56 07 Jul 2008

You can probably fix it with Araldite.

damnthispc 20:00 07 Jul 2008

the tape option is probably longer lasting and flexible, aradite is too rigid and doesn't solve the exposed wire issue. not keen on bodging power cables, too much to potentialy go wrong should it begin to arc if it gets worse.

I'd really rather get a new plug soldered on
thanks any way

Diemmess 20:13 07 Jul 2008

You do mean the low voltage plug to the laptop and not the mains plug end of the same lead?

As you recognise, you are dealing with low voltage and the only danger is from a short circuit which could even catch fire.

That said, if there is a moulding which has split and you only need to clamp it shut you could try some fancy tape which I have used on mains cable as in hedge trimmer/notched!

It is a black 2M x 25mm reel, bubble packed, calling itself Gaffer Xtra, and says it is Silicone self fusing black tape.
It stretches and without having a sticky surface, seems to lie down taughtly and stays there as a binding.(It does have a crackly backing strip of the sort of plastic that is used in roasting bags

You should be able to buy some in any DIY shop which carries tapes and adhesives.

I think adhesives in a tube will be a waste of time since nothing out there for general sale will weld a plug moulding.

damnthispc 20:33 07 Jul 2008

self fusing tape sounds ok, where did you get yours from?

DieSse 00:27 08 Jul 2008

"Self-fusing" tape (called self-vulcanising in the motor trade, and self amalgamating in the aerial/satellye trade) should be findable in a motor spares suppliers or TV aerial type shop.

BUT - it works by stretching and then wrapping onto itself - that's when the bonding action takes place. It isn't supposed to adhere well to other materials, only to itself, when the layers actually unite, not just stick. So it may not be the ideal thing.

Available here too click here

DieSse 01:33 08 Jul 2008

This is the adapter

click here

Which part is actually damaged?

DieSse 01:47 08 Jul 2008

This is the adapter

click here

Which part is actually damaged?

If you shop around ebay, you can get a compatible relacement for around 20 UK Pounds or so (inc postage).

ronalddonald 07:19 08 Jul 2008

its a health and safety issue and you need to sort it out. How long b4 alittl fired of your little one comes alongans says oh whats this and gets zapped.

Stop being a tight scrooge and get it sorted out b4 some else does as in rsting a coffin.

oldbeefer2 09:00 08 Jul 2008

'Well

its a health and safety issue and you need to sort it out. How long b4 alittl fired of your little one comes alongans says oh whats this and gets zapped'

Low voltage (9 volts?)! I don't think this will happen!

ronalddonald 09:49 08 Jul 2008

read his post at the top its not 9 volts its 20 volts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?