laptop power fault

spacecadet 07:42 29 Dec 2006

hi my daughters toshiba a2 tecra laptop has developed a fault where the laptop wont work from the mains supply or charge the battery.initially i thought the charger was faulty but have tried it on my in car charger, so the fault appears to be at the laptop end.
could it be the pin the charger plugs into has come loose?sorry dont know much about these things
any help appreciated
regs
D

dms05 08:16 29 Dec 2006

Have you tried releasing the battery and then reinserting? I had a Toshiba Satellite Pro that once showed similar problems and reseating the battery solved the problem.

spacecadet 08:40 29 Dec 2006

thanks for reply,i reseated the battery and for a brief few seconds it started to go through start up and then cut off again?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:37 29 Dec 2006

Try running on mains only with battery removed, does it power up?

spacecadet 10:44 29 Dec 2006

thanks i think i ve got to the bottom of it.
after reseating the battery and then charging with the car charger the laptop starts up,indicating the battery is ok and the jack plug hasnt come loose.
also when i run without battery but ac only nothing at all,so looks like im in the need for a 15v 4 a charger compatable with tecra a2 series.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017