laptop and pc for broadband

lelole 17:33 29 Apr 2004

I have just started a new job, which will involve working from home. They install broadband for all of their employees, normally BT openworld, whihc so far they have just set up from scratch with other people so far.

The problem is I have pipex already set up on my phone line, and I'm not sure what the solution is...I would still like to be able to use the broadband on my pc as well as the laptop.

The company has agreed to use pipex if I so desire, but I'm not sure how to go about sorting this out. It would seem nuts to pay for a whole new phone line and broadband connection if the company are willing to pay for mine!!

Any ideas would be welcome.

Using Windows XP with external USB broadband modem on phoneline. Have not seen laptop but know that it is brand new (and has windows XP and wirefree capabilities built in...)

Thanks

Leah

Diodorus Siculus 17:42 29 Apr 2004

I'm not quite sure what is the problem you have? Do you mean that you already have broadband? If so, then you can share it between the laptop and the PC.

If you are not broadband enabled yet, then let them do it for you - you can still use your line with BT for other calls etc.

Diodorus Siculus 17:43 29 Apr 2004

Just re-read your posting... doh!

OK, what you can do is get a wireless router to share with the laptop all around the house.

Diodorus Siculus 17:44 29 Apr 2004

Just re-read your posting... doh!

OK, what you can do is get a wireless router to share with the laptop all around the house.

lelole 11:02 30 Apr 2004

Thanks for that, forgive my ignorance, but although I have heard of wireless routers, I don't know much about them...is it just one piece of equipment? is it expensive etc. etc.

Leah

Cas141 11:18 30 Apr 2004

I know little about wireless routers, as you say you do.
Some may disagree with me, but unless you know exactly how to set up security re your wireless connection, it is fraught with security dangers.
I intended to do this type of connection with my broadband desktop, until i learned about "Wardriving" etc.
If you don't set up securely, some hacker types - kids for fun who are clever , or worse, can sit outside your house in a car with their laptop and get into your connection and computer while you are merrily browsing!!
Go well into wireless connection issues before risking your security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?