Laptop to PC

s99Raj 23:08 13 Jan 2003
  s99Raj 23:08 13 Jan 2003

A quick simple question which has probably been answered before but I can't find where...

I have a program or a Word document on my laptop, say, and I wish to transfer it to my desk PC. They are connected via the serial ports at the moment.

How do I transfer the files?

I'm using XP Professional on both computers.

Cheers.

Forum Editor 23:17 13 Jan 2003

Start/Allprogrammes/accessories/communications and select the 'New connection wizard'.

Click 'Next' and select 'Set up an advanced connection'.

Follow the prompts.

s99Raj 23:20 13 Jan 2003

I've tried all this but I'm unsure I'm doing it right. I've connected the two computers usibg the 9 pin sockets. Is that correct? Are they both called COM1?

jazzypop 23:25 13 Jan 2003

Try this - click here

Forum Editor 23:25 13 Jan 2003

One computer must be configured to accept incoming connections, and the other one must be set to connect to another computer.

In each case you'll be offered a selection of detected connection devices - they'll include your modem, but there should be a serial cable showing on the list. Are you sure that you're using a direct connection cable, and not just any old serial cable? You can buy them with both parralel and serial connectors at each end, so you can choose which to use, depending on the available ports - you must use the same type on each computer however.

Forum Editor 23:29 13 Jan 2003

will actually be more helpful I think, as it shows illustrations of the connectors, and a step by step instruction for Windows XP. It'll save me a lot of typing and you a lot of reading.

s99Raj 23:30 13 Jan 2003

I want to get stuff OFF the laptop and ONTO the desk PC. Which is the host, and which the guest?

I'm using a new cable I just bought today and both ends have a 9 pin socket as well as a larger 23 pin socket.

I've decided to use the 9 pin sockets on both ends since I'm using the printer ports.

And what about this password I get asked about? I deliberately haven't set one up.

CHeers for any further help. I really want to get this simple thing working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?