Laptop Overheating - Who is Right ?

essjay 16:14 07 Feb 2007

Hi

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D 7820. It is approximately 3 and a half years old. For the last two years I have been having some problems with it shutting down, intermittently and without warning, or being able to pinpoint a specific task which makes this happen. It has so far been back five times with this same problem to the same repairer. Although most of the time I am able to switch the laptop straight back on, it has taken up to six or seven immediate attempts to get it back up and running.

The workshop where it is being returned to are claiming that it is overheating due to dust inside. I have asked them to explain how if the laptop is shutting down due to overheating it is able to be switched straight back on again and will then run (doing exactly the same tasks as it was when it shut down) for several hours.

They are claiming that “When a thermal cut out is engaged, chip temperature will decrease dramatically. It is therefore by no means correct that a product will always be unusable immediately following a reset due to overheating”

The Fujitsu Siemens help center claim that “The notebook is design to shutdown if it over heats, after this occurs if you turn on again it would shutdown almost straight away.”

How do I find out who is right ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 07 Feb 2007

How do I find out who is right ?

Try it on a laptop cooler see if that stops the problem.

Seriously PCs shut down for a number of reasons heat being a prime example 3 and a half years is a lot of dust build up.

Shut downs;
1. overheat
2. driver conflicts
3. Spyware / viruses
4. memory problems.
5 corrupt files / hard drive errors
6 lack of space on HDD.

1. clean out grills on laptop
2. check for updated drivers
3. scan for spyware and viruses
4. run memtest click here
5. Disble Autoreboot
Open System Properties via Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
[ System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination ]
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart
Click OK and OK to exit
Now you should be able to see the error message when windows crashes.
Post the message here for further help.
6. Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

essjay 17:24 07 Feb 2007

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/
Thanks very much for the reply. The Laptop has been cleaned out 5 times over this period so should be reasonably clean :) Thanks for the links too I will check them out.

Software problems have been ruled out by the repairer as it switched itself off in BIOS mode.

It's also been recovered three times.

It's not rebooting, but just turning itself right off, although I can switch it straight back on again and continue what I was doing for hours, which is why I'm confused at the problem being overheating. I don't get any error messages it just powers straight off.

I'm just confused by the repairer saying that the 30 seconds or so that it takes to turn back on is enough for it to have cooled down enough to run again for hours without any problems, but the manufacturer saying this should not be the case.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 07 Feb 2007

Software problems have been ruled out by the repairer as it switched itself off in BIOS mode.

I would then suspect the CPU is overheating, check fan is running correctly and heat sink is removed refitted with a light smear of good new thermal paste.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 07 Feb 2007

same on battery and mains?

could be a problem with the power supply part of the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017