laptop overheating

Boy Zone 19:17 13 Sep 2010

I've been asked to look at a friends Toshiba laptop, as it keeps cutting out, the first thing I looked at was the vents, which seemed clear.
I do recall somewhere a utiliy where one could run and monitor the CPU temp, does anyone know where I can download this from?

The pc is running win XP with only 512 ram, I know XP will run with this amount of RAM but with Office 2007 it needs more.

Second question:- having only this amount of RAM can this cause the CPU to run hotter?

woodchip 19:22 13 Sep 2010

If the Person smokes then its going to be all gummed up inside, If that was the case for me I would not mend it. In any case the only way is it needs partly dismantling to clear the heat exchanger

woodchip 19:25 13 Sep 2010

Looking at it will not make it work and software will not remove the muck build up inside, this can also be due to use on Carpet or beds etc.

Boy Zone 19:50 13 Sep 2010

thanks but she doesnt smoke and its used in a fairly clean room. Ive never taken a laptop apart and dont intend too in this case, but as I said the vents did appear to be clean, but guess the video and heat sinks could be full of muck.

woodchip 20:34 13 Sep 2010

Only way is take it apart, it will be may be near back on left top corner. But you would need a Service Manual to start. Not for the faint hearted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone