Laptop overheated - motherboard problem?

  sdamji 11:43 23 Jul 2008


I have a Philips X58 laptop, bought from PC World around 15 months ago. Without realising, I left the laptop on (but shut) overnight and plugged in. The laptop doesn't switch on now and when the adaptor is plugged in, the led flashes. I have been advised by PC World that the motherboard may have overheated and that they would charge £220 to fix it (I'm not covered under maintenance anymore!). Does anyone know if it is possible this may just be a problem with the fan?

Also, just wondering if you are aware of any places (in London) that I will be able to get the laptop fixed and how much this would cost me - I'm looking to pay max. £120 but accept this may not be possible. I'm not keen on buying a new laptop given that it is not that old.

Thanks for any help in advance - apologies that my knowledge on this is pretty basic!

  Ditch999 14:59 23 Jul 2008

Try removing the mains then take out the battery.
Press the Power button in for 30 secs.
Replace battery, plug in mains and try it.

  Ditch999 15:01 23 Jul 2008

If it is dead you could get a quote from Qual-IT click here They are fast and guarantee their work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?