laptop over heating and crashing since sp2 install

sype 15:54 05 Oct 2004

since installing sp2 my laptop has overheated and turned off at least 8 times.in the year and a half befor sp2 it may have happend twice.could the problem be connected to sp2 or do u think i have other problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:28 05 Oct 2004

Probably other problems (maybe spyware)but try uninstalling sp2 and see if this stops the overheating.

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here

Djohn 16:37 05 Oct 2004

I can't think of any reason why SP2 will cause your laptop to overheat. It may be that your using the firewall from SP2 and a third party one at the same time and this may cause your system to crash.

Are you sure it's overheating? It may be as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, you've picked up something that is causing the problem and a download/scan from the links above will confirm this for you.

sype 17:25 05 Oct 2004

i run 2 spyware programs and there is no problem there and it mostly crashers when i am offline converting movies or burning so the firewalls wouldn`t be doing much. thanks for your ideas it may be a hardwear fault.

Jeffers22 17:45 05 Oct 2004

Both those activities are pretty processor intensive. Try clearing out the fan so that you get better air flow - may help to keep temp down.

terryr48 18:21 05 Oct 2004

Try a laptop cooler if all else fails from click here I have been using one all summer and my laptop fan hardly has to work at all sitting on one of these.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?