Laptop or Notebook?

wotbus@ 10:07 15 Jan 2007

What's in a name, does it matter, do we even care? I have just been reading the PC Pro 2006 awards supplement and was surprised to see Laptops are now called Notebooks - why? They are still exactly the same and do the same job, but their name has changed. I imagine a lot are used on desks in offices or at home but probably a lot more are used on laps - trains, planes, buses etc so whilst Portable PC (Personal Computer) would be their correct name, Laptop seems more applicable and relevent - and we all know what one is don't we? A Notebook is something in which to write Notes surely! A portable telephone used to be a Portable, now it's a Mobile. A Handheld is, I think, a Personal Organiser (electronic version of the Agenda/Diary wallet thingy which Yuppies used to, ummmm, hand carry everywhere). I suppose "hand held" because because that's, uhhhhhh, where you hold it as opposed to tucking it under your chin or arm while you Text/Photograph with your mobile in one hand and handhold you notebook in the other...duhhhhh. It is actually a small computer but can't be named as such as we already have portable computers called Notebooks and latterly Laptops. Are all things portable now mobile? I suspect since UK became another American state this dire situation has a lot to do with it but if we all know what we are talking about then let's all relax and go with the flow.
I am writing this on my PLDPC (has a nice ring to it if you say it often enough - it's my Permanently Located Desktop Personal Computer). What! Wait a minute, it's a Permanent Desktop Notebook isn't it....as opposed to a Portable Notebook, sorry Mobile Note..oh sorry again, Handheld... oh what the heck.
Yawl have a nice day ;-)

wotbus@ 10:16 15 Jan 2007

FE: Please would you put this in Speaker's Corner. Thanks.

Gongoozler 11:02 15 Jan 2007

I think it could well be that when they first appeared they were intended for laptop use, but with the heat some of them generate this could well be considered a false description.

Belatucadrus 11:07 15 Jan 2007

Also considering the American litigation culture and the recent case of a man who toasted his unmentionables with a "Laptop" it map be legally prudent not to suggest they be used there.

Gongoozler 11:11 15 Jan 2007

The mind boggles at the thought of a Sony battery exploding while being used in this situation!!

wotbus@ 13:28 15 Jan 2007

Perhaps valid reasons for not risking roasting one's chestnuts - but why change the name to Notebook which more accurately describes the Personal Organiser? Why not simply Portable PC - what's wrong with it? Anyway, users on the move will 99% of the time use them on their laptop no matter what it's called. Of course, we live in a world where there is no individual responsiblity, where something is always some else's fault, so I suppose if it was called a Laptop and one'e chestnuts were roasted, one assumes a legitimate case against the manufacturer because it was they who suggested in a round-about way that the laptop is where it has to be used. Are their people who actually think like that? The mind boggles..
Perhaps PCA could run a poll on what a portable computer should really be called - over to you FE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone