Laptop only connecting via ethernet

Debs198000 10:04 26 Jan 2010

Hi everyone
I would be so grateful if anyone can help me.... I bought my little girl a laptop from ebay for Xmas and it is not connecting via our wireless network (we have a laptop in the living room which is where all the main connections are) and my daughters pc in her room worked fine wireless, so I am confused what is going on with the laptop? The laptop finds the connection but then says it "cannot connect as the connections may no longer be available" I tried it downstairs connecting with the blue ethernet cable & it works fine. I am a total thicko when it comes to computers so if anyone could give me an idiots guide how to fix it I would be so happy & so would my little girl.
Thanks very much
Debbie

mgmcc 11:54 26 Jan 2010

What type of encryption are you using in the Router's wireless security settings? If the new laptop's wireless adapter doesn't support the type of security in use, it won't connect, so this setting might have to be changed.

You can tell from the wireless connection in your existing Laptop the type of security in use, but how you do it depends on the operating system - XP, Vista or 7.

Debs198000 12:32 26 Jan 2010

Oh god how do i find that out? lol I told you I am useless at computers.

Thanks

mgmcc 18:11 26 Jan 2010

Hold down the "Windows" key and press "R". This will open the Run box. Type in WINVER and click OK. This will open an "About Windows" properties sheet telling you which version of Windows you're running. If you post back with that info, we can tell you how to establish from the existing wireless connection the security encryption being used.

Debs198000 10:56 28 Jan 2010

Hi
I have done the above and the new laptop shows it is Windows XP.

Cheers

Debs198000 10:57 28 Jan 2010

Oh and my own laptop is Vista

mgmcc 20:45 28 Jan 2010

My Vista PC is completely disconnected at the moment, so I'm doing this from Windows 7 but I think it should be the same.

Go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), click the Wireless Network Connection to highlight it then right click it and select "Status". In the next box that opens, click the "Wireless Properties" button then the "Security" tab, which will show you the method of encryption being used by the wireless network.

Debs198000 21:46 28 Jan 2010

Right I have just done all that (thanks for the easy intsructions lol) it says the following:

Security Type: WPA2-Personal
Encryption Type: AES
Network Security Key: .........

Do I have to change these?

Thanks very much for your help I really appreciate it.

mgmcc 22:46 28 Jan 2010

OK, I think you may need to try changing the security in the Router's wireless settings to get the XP Laptop to connect.

Go back into that same "Status" window that showed details of the Wireless Network Connection, but this time click the Details button and make a note of the "Default Gateway" address.

Connect with any computer to the Router by ethernet cable, *NOT* wirelessly, and type that Default Gateway address into your web browser. This will open the router's configuration pages, although you'll probably be prompted for the routers Username & Password, which should be in the manual or may be on a label on the underside of the router.

Once in the configuration pages, look for the wireless security settings and change them to WPA-Personal or WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption. Make up a "security key" of between 8 and 63 characters, but keep a note of it as it will be required to connect to the router from the PC(s).

Save the changes and exit from the web browser. You will now need to delete any existing wireless "profiles" in both Vista and XP, then go through the procedure to "Connect" again. This click here may help with the removal of the existing profiles.

Finally, see if you can connect with both computers to the wireless network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?