laptop not reading from dvd drive

kkkoolkev 23:11 18 Apr 2007

hi i have a laptop which was running win xp it has stoped booting up and i cant get into window using safe mode networking support with command prompt or any of the options with f8 at the start up also i have tried to boot from the windows disk but i cant get the dvd rom drive to read the disc so i have got a new dvd rom only the bios does not reconize it as being there so now i have got a new hard drive still no luck cant get anything to work i am thinking about buying a new motherboard but i am guessing they wont be cheap has anyone got any suggestions before i buy a new motherboard i have a dell inspiron 8000
thanks for any help in advance

birdface 08:36 19 Apr 2007

No Idea about laptops,But with desktops you can get into the Bios to change things,On mine I just keep tapping the delete button and the Bios comes up,Different Keys for different computers.

jack 08:48 19 Apr 2007

Well you are now in the cant spend any more money mode
Because I doubt very much if MoBo's would be available and this still may be not the problem.
We are now in the age of 'Service by replacement'
Kettle,Toasters, Unit Audio, TV's Players of all sorts
None of there are made to be repaired any more and I suspect integrated computers such as Lappies are going the same way.

Time then for the next one.
Keep the new bit recently purchased- the HDD can be a useful external one as indeed the original.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?