Laptop not picking up wireless signal-Grrr!!

buel 10:10 29 Mar 2009

Hi there, please please can anyone help me? My friend's laptop just wont find any available networks when there are 3 available that are being picked up by my laptop that i am currently using to write this post. The wireless icon appears in the bottom right hand corner but when i choose the option of 'view available wireless networks' it just doesn't find any! The Laptop is an E-System, running Xp home, Intel celeron M cpu 1.46 Ghz, only 248 mb of Ram)
Please try and help me if you can!

Graham. 10:18 29 Mar 2009

Is wireless switched on?

buel 11:04 29 Mar 2009

I thought by seeing the wireless icon in the bottom right hand corner (a computer with a cross through it) it meant that the wireless WAS switched on?

buel 11:16 29 Mar 2009

Hi, iv just been to control panel, administative tools, services, wirelles zero configuration and, yes, the wireless is switched on! Does anyone have any ideas please?

mooly 11:16 29 Mar 2009

Is it a red cross ?? that means no wireless ! I get that if I manually turn off wireless and for a few seconds during start up untill the conection is established... thats on Vista. Seem to remember XP similar. Icon turns green when connected.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:17 29 Mar 2009

(a computer with a cross through it) it meant that the wireless WAS switched on?

No this is symbol for LAN not connected.

EXACT model no. may help find how to switch on usually combination of keys Fn + f key with symbol of radio mast or slide switch on keyboard or side of laptop.

birdface 11:17 29 Mar 2009

On my grandaughters laptop you have to press [fn]and F1 to start her wireless connection.on the other laptop it starts automatically when you open the laptop.

mooly 11:19 29 Mar 2009

Try looking in device manager in control panel and check out and expand network adapters. Does it say "device working correctly" for the wireless card in properties. No yellow exclamation marks ?

buel 11:21 29 Mar 2009

Ok, iv just been to control panel, administative tools, services, wirelles zero configuration and, yes, the wireless is switched on! Does anyone have any ideas please?
The model is: E-system 3085/G335 series, does this help please?

mooly 11:22 29 Mar 2009

Anything to do with Vistas power saving options ? You can alter wireless settings there too... confusing... for example to go too low power when on battery etc

mooly 11:24 29 Mar 2009

If you right click the icon is there a "diagnose and repair" option ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?