laptop not charging properly

hannahc 10:09 28 Jan 2007

I have been given an old laptop (Dell - Inspiron 5160) which doesnt charge well at all. The connection with the mains lead is pretty loose and so i have to spend ages wiggling the lead around to get it to connect up to charge. As a result i can only really use it for about an hour before having to go through the whole thing again. Just wondering if anyone knows of any ways in which i can mend it, or if it is indicative of something else (e.g. battery needing changing)?? I am reluctant to get a new one, and would prefer to mend if possible. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks

howard64 10:14 28 Jan 2007

is it the mains lead or the laptop with the poor connection? Try another lead they often have different strength springs in them. If it is the laptop is it that the pins are loose? Opening laptops is often quite complex if you do not know the sequence for opening them.

concretepigsy 10:15 28 Jan 2007

i had the same problem with my laptop.

the solder holding the mains power input had decayed.

a local pc guy installed a cable onto the mains boardfor £25 so my laptop effectively turned into a desktop. but it shouldnt be hard to fix

if it is the battery its about £90

hannahc 10:21 28 Jan 2007

Thanks a lot - i have tried different mains leads but havent had any luck. Would be happy to try the mains board option as its such a heavy laptop it's effectively a desk top anyway. If you know of any decent PC people in North London please let me know!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?