Laptop no power

Tony275 16:51 31 Dec 2006

Hi, I have been given an old laptop a Compaq Armada 4130T, But when I plug it in and turn on the power nothing happens, Am I right in thinking it's probably the power supply and is there any way a novice like me could test the power supply to see if it's working without blowing myself or my home up?.

Regards Tony

SANTOS7 16:56 31 Dec 2006

Yea! take it to somebody who knows what they are doing, any suggestions that are made here that may result in compromising your safety would be ill advised.

Tony275 16:58 31 Dec 2006

Thanks You

Gongoozler 17:15 31 Dec 2006

This power supply click here is specified as suitable for your laptop as long as you think that it's worth spending £45 on it, and bearing in mind that you may well need a new battery as well.

Although I agree with SANTOS7 that you shouldn't compromise your safety, as long as you are reasonably careful, there is little risk in measuring the volts at the computer end connector with a multimeter such as this one click here
You should expect to get something in the region of 19V d.c.

Tony275 17:46 31 Dec 2006

Gongoozler Thank You Very Much for your very informative and helpful answer, I will Purchase one and try it.

Regards Tony

Gongoozler 21:42 31 Dec 2006

Hi Tony275. Before you buy a power supply, you really need to be sure that it is the problem and the battery is OK. A new battery will cost in the region of £100 e.g. click here, and you should consider whether the laptop is worth this potential outlay to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?