Laptop with new HD running slowly..?

hawthorn59 02:28 28 Oct 2006

I am selling my laptop but decided to install a new HD so my buyer will have an almost new machine. after it was installed, I loaded on Norton System Works 2003, and went online. I downloaded the updates so presume Im now protected. However Im wondering did I pick up anything while waiting for the updates to download (it took about 45 minutes).

I feel its running a bit slow and sluggish at times. Then again it could be by connection.

I got this message tonight, but I think it might be only on a particular site I was on, notebookreview.com

" Macromedia Flash Player 6.
A script in this movie is causing Macromedia Flash Player 6 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become nresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?"

I choose yes each time (it came about 5 times). The computer did become a bit unresponsive and i had to shut it down. It happened again but I think its only on that site, so this may not be part of the problem.

Also I checked the Disk Defragmenter, and it says : Total Fragmented 19%, File Fragmented 39%. It recommended fragmenting the disk. This is after only 4 days with the new HD installed.

Is this normal or have i a problem? I really want to sell the laptop working perfectly and fast!

Thanks

h

sean-278262 02:56 28 Oct 2006

If the old drive was a 7200 or 5200rpm drive then getting a drive thats slower such as 4800 will significantly slow things down.

I dont think you would of gotten a virus in the small time you went online to fetch updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone