laptop networking

ROBINSON CRUSO 10:01 21 Oct 2007

hi guys

ive bought a laptop hp pavilion dv2535ea with built in wireless networking. i have my home pc running broadband and i know i need a router but i dont know what one or any extras,both my home pc and laptop would be using the internet so i need something that will run them at the same speed and not slow it down, also i dont really wont to use WIFI as ive heard its easily hacked into, please any help

cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:06 21 Oct 2007

'also i dont really wont to use WIFI as ive heard its easily hacked into,'..that is nonsense. With a little security wireless is virtually impossible to hack into or it would take such a long time that it would not be worth it. Also as there are many free wi-fi hotspots the whole thing would seem rather daft. Get a wireless router and wireless stick for your PC if it does not have a wireless card. Netgear such as click here is a good one.

G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:33 21 Oct 2007

Beware there is a difference if you have cable broadband or BB over a phone line.

ROBINSON CRUSO 18:54 21 Oct 2007

sorry for the late reply

GANDALF
thanks for the reply it's just when someone tells you something it sticks to you and a program called the real hustle showed something about it on you tube, the router you put a link to looks good as i have built in wireless networking i should not need a usb stick just switch the wireless network on and it should work with the router am i correct?

thanks

woodchip 19:08 21 Oct 2007

You watch to much telly

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 21 Oct 2007

As long as you use WPA security in you wireless connection you will be safe.

ROBINSON CRUSO 21:26 21 Oct 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\

can you give me any links for a good WPA security program for vista?

thanks

woodchip 21:35 21 Oct 2007

WPA is built into a Wireless router, THat you can setup when you setup for Wireless

Strawballs 21:48 21 Oct 2007

You still need to tell us what type of Broad Band you use Cable (Virgin Media) or ADSL any ISP through BT phone line. As Fruit Bat /\0/\ has said it will make a difference as to what type of router you use.

ROBINSON CRUSO 21:52 21 Oct 2007

excellant so i just need the router and im all set up, what about wi-fi hotspots will the wpa download from the router work so i can use at hotspots

Strawballs 22:05 21 Oct 2007

click here you can choose one from whichever list is relevent to your ISP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?