Laptop& Network Encryption

eljanno 20:18 31 Dec 2006

Hi Guys

I have just bought my son a laptop and got a wireless router, I want to keep my network wired but the laptop is used wireless. What I want to know is hoe do i set up the encryption so others cannot log on to the network conection, the router is a belkin G+mimo, i dont want to make a mess of it : )
Happy New Year to you all.
J

postie24 20:41 31 Dec 2006

Go to your router homepage and click security,Follow propts to set up wpa encryption,if not wep encryption will do

Postie24

postie24 20:42 31 Dec 2006

Sorry meant prompts

iqs 20:42 31 Dec 2006

Hi eljanno...I don't have a belkin router,but the following might offer some assistance?.

If you access the router settings ,there should be a section regarding encryption/security.

On the Netgear security is switched off,defult setting.When you have selected the type of encryption,you will have to create an unique password.You use this password to access the net from your laptop.

Before you access the net from your laptop you first select a network.When selected you will be asked for the encryption password.Hopefully you will have have acces.Like I said this is the procedure for my Netgear.Hope it helps.

eljanno 23:42 31 Dec 2006

cheers I'll have a look later going for a few beers now, but do i have to enter 28 or 64 numbers :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?