Main PC
Netgear 834G router
E-mail client - AOL 9.0 working

All working correctly

Laptop Acer 4150 inbuilt wireless connectivity
Windows XP Home SP2
E-mail client - AOL 9.0 not working

Problem

In the past was able to log onto internet no problem either via the router or through e-mail client AOL.
Had a crash in XP, was still able to connect to router but unable to get e-mail via AOL. I re-installed AOL and now unable to access router direct or AOL.

I know that my wireless laptop is working as it can pick up the neighbours networks but refuses to see my network. Have checked that router key is correct and that same key is on laptop and SSID is the same.

I use WEP 26 characters for encryption. I have even set the network so there was no security to see if it could find my laptop to no avail (router now encrypted again!)
Tried to connect a cable from laptop to router but did not have cat5 cable.

What do I do now? Is AOL the route of my problem? Is there a way to uninstall AOL? How do I stop AOL loading up in Task manager when the laptop boots.?

I know loads of questions, all help gratefully received.

CodenameCueball 12:46 09 Jul 2007

to stop aol loading when you boot, go start, run, type "msconfig" (no quotes). then go to startup and uncheck aol. this that might work. oh and if you want to try wired, shiut down the desktop pc, unplug the cat 5 cable, and connect it to the laptop. thats all the help i can give

^wave^ 13:40 09 Jul 2007

is the wireless icon on the router lit if not go into the admin and turn on wireless networking

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?