Laptop in need of repair

geek84 09:15 22 Aug 2010

Hi Folks

I think my laptop is in need of repair. Everytime I switch it on the fan comes on automatically. The only time it goes off is when I turn the machine off. Is there anything I can do in order to solve this problem or would I need to take it to a repair shop?

If I do end up taking it to a repair shop, how do I select a reputable repair shop?

thsnks

onthelimit 09:20 22 Aug 2010

First thing is to make sure the inlet and outlet of the fan are clear of debris. Had a similar problem with an Acer which was completely blocked with cat hair and dust.

jamesd1981 10:18 22 Aug 2010

try a can of compressed air and give it a serious clean, other than big expensive places like pc world theres no such thing is a reputable pc repair shop they all con men

jakimo 10:32 22 Aug 2010

"theres no such thing is a reputable pc repair shop they all con men"

PC world would not be my first choice for a repair,There are many qualified independent repairmen about,ask around for a recommendation,why not try the firm who supplied your laptop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:43 22 Aug 2010

Get a vacuum cleaner nozzle up against the grills to suck out all the dust and fluff.

robin_x 10:45 22 Aug 2010

Use Speedfan to check temperatures etc

I run at 50 odd degrees idle and 60 odd loaded.

(not games/ on a laptop)

Make sure the laptop grille is exposed. Underneath the unit.

click here

geek84 15:00 22 Aug 2010

Hi Folks

Thsnks for your replies so far.

My laptop is an Acer and I am not very computer literate, so how do I make sure the inlet and outlet of the fan are clear of debris. Where is the inlet & outlet of the fan!!

Aslo, how do I get a vacuum cleaner nozzle up against the grills to suck out all the dust and fluff. Where are the grills ??

Thanks

woodchip 16:58 22 Aug 2010

Check BIOS as one of mine as a Fan setup that you can set to on all the time or automatic that's for when it starts getting too hot Most likely in Health page of BIOS but you need to check all to make sure. Save settings before exit

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:01 22 Aug 2010

If dust, dirt, hair, or other substances are in the case openings, it can prevent air from getting into or out of the laptop. This can cause the overall heat of the laptop to increase, and in some cases may also cause such issues as random reboots.

Look for laptop openings where the laptop draws in cool air from outside or blows out any hot air from the inside of the laptop. These openings are usually on one of the sides, the back, or the bottom of the laptop. Dust, dirt, hair, or other substances can almost always be removed easily using a cotton swab and/or compressed air.

Warning: If you're using compressed air to clean the openings that have fans within them, it's possible that the amount of air blown on the fans can cause them to over spin, damaging or destroying the fan. To help prevent this issue, place something in-between the fan blades, such as a toothpick.

click here No1

woodchip 17:10 22 Aug 2010

Also using compressed air on a Laptop only blows the much further in. The only realistic way to remove much is take it apart and dig it out

Woolwell 17:17 22 Aug 2010

If you're really unhappy with cleaning it yourself then I suggest you contact Acer click here
. They may well want to collect it. Before you do make sure all data is backed up including e-mails and be prepared to be without it for a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?