Laptop - Modem issue

NewFoundGlory 03:53 10 Oct 2007

Okay so basically I bought a laptop off ebay (Sony Vaio) which said it came ready to go with an internal modem.

However, when I got it, the person seems to have deleted I guess the relationship (ahem, I'm not up on computer terms) between the laptop and the modem as the laptop does not seem to be able to locate it, I think I need to go into the bios to restore it to factory setting but I am unsure of how to do this or if this is what I actually need to do?

I tried to use a restoration point but the laptop only had one and it didnt do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(PS I had a paypal dispute but...grr...you know how paypal is...)

postie24 05:37 10 Oct 2007

Go into device manager,and look for a yellow exclamation mark against the modem,if there is right click it and re enable it.

NewFoundGlory 19:33 10 Oct 2007

So I went into device manager and the items that have exclamation marks against them are:

Ethernet Controller
Mass Storage Controller
PCI Device
Video Controller

However it says that they are enabled, I tried to update them but obviously I need to connect to the internet to do that...which I can't...

Am I basically screwed or is there any other way?

woodchip 20:03 10 Oct 2007

Internal Dial-Up Modem and a WiFi are two different things. One uses BT phone Line Other uses ADSL line.

Both use Modems and both can be built in. You need to know what the computer as got. You then need a ISP to connect to

NewFoundGlory 20:56 10 Oct 2007

Hi the laptop is supposed to be wifi enabled and has WLAN (802.11 b/g), my other laptop (the one I'm on now) is also wifi enabled and all i have to do is go into networks and click on my network and it connects...

ambra4 03:26 11 Oct 2007

“So I went into device manager and the items that have exclamation marks against them are: Ethernet Controller, Mass Storage Controller, PCI Device, Video Controller”

NewFoundGlory

From the laptop that you using to access the Internet go to the Sony site and download all the drivers even the Bios for your model # Vaio to your desktop all the item that have a exclamation marks against them require the correct drivers to work correct, it look like the previous owner did a reinstall of the OS and had problems, could not fix it and just sold it.

Download the entire listed driver on the site for your model #

(Ethernet Controller) called a NIC or LAN card,

(Mass Storage Controller) not sure what this is?? (Could be the hard drive)

(PCI Device) is the modem

(Video Controller) is the Display card

Once you have download the drivers transfer them to a flash drive and then transfer to the Sony and install then if that won’t work as files to big for your flash drive cut a CD with all the drivers and install from the CD

(Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities) this is the best area to start you will need to login top right hand side before you can access the drivers download page

You will need the product code and the serial # which you will find on the bottom of the laptop

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?