Laptop Modem Failure

SABRE 21:28 03 Feb 2004

I have a Dell laptop and the internal dial up modem appears to have failed. On connection it is stating that there is 'no dial tone'. I have tried as many things as I can i.e. proved the connection cord OK, re-loaded the drivers, unplugged and re-plugged in the modem to no avail.
I did start to speak to Dell Support, I believe in Dehli or somewhere, but after an hour and a quarter of do this and do that I had to close down to attend a meeting.
Do people agree that it is probably the modem that's at fault, and where can I get a replacement? I have forgotten the manufacturer, but are they a standard internal modem? It is a little flat thing about the size of one of those listermint dispensers of those tabs for halitosis.

Diodorus Siculus 22:06 03 Feb 2004

That's the best description of a modem I have heard of!

You can buy a PCMCIA modem for about £40 or so - it goes into the side of your laptop and will do the trick for you.

SABRE 22:21 03 Feb 2004

Thanks a lot Diodorus Siculus. Why did they fit an internal one and not a PCMCIA (does that stand for Pulse Code Modulated Central Intelligence Agency?)in the first place?

In fact, I think we've got another laptop with one of those in so I'll swap it over to prove the fault!!

VoG II 22:24 03 Feb 2004

Personal Computer Memory Card International Association but yours is better, SABRE!

Diodorus Siculus 22:24 03 Feb 2004

No - it does not stand for Pulse Code Modulated Central Intelligence Agency ;-}

But internal ones are standard these days! Try a PCMCIA modem and you will know where the problem lies.

Diodorus Siculus 22:27 03 Feb 2004

PS it means:

People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms

SABRE 22:44 03 Feb 2004

Diodorus Siculus, that beats mine hands down and I will not compete. I'll make a tactical withdrawal. Thanks for your assistance and hello again VoG!!

Diodorus Siculus 22:46 03 Feb 2004

SABRE - except that mine is not original... been around years and years I fear!

SABRE 11:45 07 Feb 2004

Found out that it is an Actiontec MD560 ORD Pramac V92 MDC Modem. Any ideas where I can get one?

AubreyS 12:32 07 Feb 2004

PCMCIA = Personal Computer Memory Card International Association

No, I didn't know that. I looked it up on the net!

AubreyS 12:33 07 Feb 2004

Hell VoG...

You beat me to it.... as usual!! ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?