Laptop - Mobo blown, or is it just a fuse?

  X™ 10:32 13 Apr 2007
Locked

A laptop which my brother owned caught fire. It was a Dell, and they suprisingly replaced it with a much better one.

They never collectied the old one. Now, when it first blew, I opened it just to check it all. All I could see was a little black stuff on the mobo. It was actually the Power adapter that caught fire, and melted, so I'm not too sure. A guy from PC World said that he reckoned the Power Adapter gave out too much power and caught light.

When it caught fire, my brother just yanked out the cable, and it cut out. It had a full battery. So I was thinking, I reckon its possibly a fuse somewhere? I'm getting hold of it hopefully soon, so I was wondering you you could help. If it's not, I'm going to buy a damaged laptop, has a bad screen ect. so I can yank out the mobo. Without being cocky, I can easily replace the board, I've done one before. And I should do it in an hour. But, regardless, I have to ask you guys cause your better then me! =D

Any tips, greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Josho!

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 13 Apr 2007

I can easily replace the board, I've done one before. And I should do it in an hour.

Boy you must be good! It has always taken me longer than that just to strip a laptop.

As far as I know there is no fuses on the board sounds as if he damaged the power socket yanking the cable out.

  X™ 22:19 13 Apr 2007

Hmm. Well, I must of lost track of time, becuase I'm sure if you can't do it in an hour, then I can't. Do you think the laptop will be repairable at all? Thanks.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:26 14 Apr 2007

All I could see was a little black stuff on the mobo.

Dosn't sound good, signs of burning on a board are usually terminal.

  Crazygeorge3 09:47 14 Apr 2007

I have never had that happen to a laptop. This happened to my Desktop last year, one of the ram sticks was faulty and caused that PC to catch fire. I would't mess around with the Fuse, judging by the symptoms i'd say just replace the board. Dell did't take the other one? maybe i should buy a £3000 Dell XPS and say it broke, get a new one and sell that one :P

  X™ 16:37 14 Apr 2007

Lol. No, my brother told them what happened, they sent him one, said they'd send someone round to pick it up, but they nevrer did.

Fruitbat, thanks once again for your help. The "black stuff" was from the charger, it wipes off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?