Laptop with mobile broadband capability inbuilt

SBully 08:34 14 Aug 2010

Hi,
I have a Toshiba Satellite L30-10X which is struggling to keep up. I have a Mobile Broadband dongle on Virgin which I use when on the move or when not in a wifi area.
I'm looking for a laptop into which I can insert my Virgin SIM card and forget about it - however when wifi is available I'd prefer the laptop to use wifi rather than use up my allowance. And ideally I'd like it to do the software updates (windows, anti-virus, google calendar synching) only when connected to wifi and a "proper" broadband connection.
Some of the software I use really needs a laptop rather than a netbook (MS Publisher; Sibelius). I watch a few movies, but this isn't that important to me. I don't do gaming. I often travel by train and find the 15.4" screen a bit bulky - would prefer 14".
Can anyone advise on a suitable machine? And would it make sensible decisions about wifi/wwan usage?
Thanks in advance.

woodchip 08:41 14 Aug 2010

I would have thought a Laptop that as WiFi and a SD slot so you can use a SD adapter to plug your sim card into should do it. No idea if you can get one to plug a sim direct into a laptop

SBully 08:53 14 Aug 2010

Thanks for the reply - could you explain what an SD adapter is (or give an example) please?

woodchip 13:38 14 Aug 2010

It's same size as a SD memory card and the Sim card fits inside it so that it can be read in a SD Card slot

woodchip 13:38 14 Aug 2010

All it is, is an Adapter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?