Laptop mains connection short-circuit

Graham. 11:53 07 Apr 2010

Friend brought in her Fujitsu Amilo Pro V2055 laptop, reporting burning smell from the charger input socket.

It will not boot, presumably the battery is discharged. With the battery removed, the socket tests short-circuit. The charger now has no output, perhaps it is burnt out.

On removing the bottom panel, there are no signs of burning, but of course I cannot see the socket from there.

I'm reluctant to dismantle the laptop to investigate any further as any parts needed for a repair may not be readily available. It is a few years old, so no warranty.

Is a professional repair the only option? How much would that cost?

Technotiger 12:00 07 Apr 2010

Just a guess, but I would say about £35 per hour, plus part(s).

I would be inclined to have a go myself - if you have, or can download the Service Manual, it should not be too difficult, providing you are handy with a soldering iron if necessary.

Graham. 12:21 07 Apr 2010

Soldering iron OK, Service Manual is not found yet.

Technotiger 12:29 07 Apr 2010

This page says manual not available at present, but you could try clicking on the File Request link ...

click here

Technotiger 12:37 07 Apr 2010

Found it, but I think there is a small cost ... click here

Graham. 14:46 07 Apr 2010

Tempting, but previous searches turned out to be User Manuals.

Diemmess 16:19 07 Apr 2010

These sockets are very vulnarable to a sideways jerk when a foot "trips the cable."

It may well need a replacement socket but the mischief might (rarely lie) on the motherboard.

The charger is probably a lot more subtle, because these days a live power supply often shows No-volts unless there is a load present.
In experimental terms something like a 1watt 10 ohms.

The possibilities of further damage are great and I think money would be well spent at least for a diagnosis from a local computer repair shop

The Kestrel 16:23 07 Apr 2010

My son had exactly the same problem with his laptop. When taken to a repairer he was told that the socket was attached to the motherboard and that the heat had damaged the motherboard as well as the charger socket. Cost to repair £300+, so a new laptop was the final outcome.

Graham. 16:29 07 Apr 2010

Thanks, as I thought, I'm not going to touch it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?