Laptop mainboard replacement? Can it b done??

Lee-262377 23:09 20 Nov 2006

I have an Advent 7085 notebook which is 11 months old, it started to work intermittently so I contacted PC world, the said to take the battery off and connect the power supply to the socket. This worked and they said it was a battery fault. I dutifully sent it off and it came back with a photo of the power socket broken on the inside and stating it would cost me £360 to repair as the mainboard needed repairing. It was ok when I sent it off to them but of course I don't have proof. Now they are saying it is not their reponsibility.
I'm considering involving trading standards at some point but don't feel too hopeful as its a my word versus theirs.
Anyway, can anyone tell me is it possible to change a mainboard without joint soldering or anythin in a notebook? and if so are the hardware attachments similar to a desktop i.e. plug in etc.
I really don't want to pay so much for a repair when i could probably buy a new one of similar standard for the same cost???
TIA

birdface 23:20 20 Nov 2006

Well I always thought that you got 1 year waranty with anything like that,I know you do with mobile phones washing machines etc,Surely this should be repaired free,

johnnyrocker 23:26 20 Nov 2006

the inference from the supplier would seem to be that posters prob is due to an unwarranty issue which supplier is claiming.

best bet replace machine and use hard drive as a slave in a caddy i reckon.

johnny.

birdface 00:07 21 Nov 2006

Sorry not a lot of help to you, There are a few more places to try and get it fixed through your warranty,Down near the bottom of page, click here Best of luck.

birdface 00:10 21 Nov 2006

Sorry I got that wrong,They will only fix it or sell spare parts if out of warranty,

Das Boot 08:15 21 Nov 2006

Hi try this site click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?