Laptop to Laptop

jason.p 07:33 18 Mar 2011

The screen on my old laptop (Dell Latitude) has failed. Is it possible to access files from this to my new one Dell Inspiron) (music and photos)via some sort of cable without being able to see the screen on the old one?
The old one is XP and the new one 7.
Thanks

onthelimit 08:45 18 Mar 2011

If the screen itself has failed, you could plug the laptop into a (borrowed) normal monitor. One of the function keys normally toggles it on/off.

onthelimit 08:46 18 Mar 2011

Some guidance on transfer XP to W7 click here

Batch 08:58 18 Mar 2011

You could remove the hard disk from the old lappie and insert in a suitable USB caddy (depending on the age of the old lappie, it should be either an IDE or a SATA 2.5" disk) or just get a USB cable the plugs in to a bare hard disk. You should then be able to access everything on the old disk from your new lappie.

chub_tor 09:04 18 Mar 2011

If you can use an external monitor on the failed laptop so that you can see what is going on and if you have a router (wireless or otherwise), you can connect the two PCs to the network and simply drag and drop all your data files from one machine to the other. Alternatively drag them from the old one to a USB stick and drop them onto the new one.

jason.p 23:55 18 Mar 2011

Thanks for replies. I'll try and connect to my PC monitor and transfer to a memory stick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017