Laptop Keyboard works in Bios, not Windows

PsuedoGeek 19:14 27 Jul 2008

When I boot my Acer laptop, the keyboard is dead. However, if I go directly into Bios, or load the OS from a bootable CD (Acer's Recovery Disks), the keyboard works.

Here's the sequence of events that I tried after a HAL.dll failure.

1) Booted from home-made Recovery CD ... HAL.dll error continued

2) Ordered Acer Recovery CD's

3) Booted from Recovery CD and re-built system. Keyboard and mouse touchpad work during entire installation. System reboots and begins initialization process ... prompts for computer name ... keyboard is dead.

4) F-disked C & D partitions. Created single C partition. Performed item 3 again. Same results.

At this point, I'm very confused. I don't understand why Bios and Windows are using two different methods of retreiving information from the keyboard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PsuedoGeek 19:16 27 Jul 2008

In addition to the keyboard being dead. I have to hold down the power button for 2-3 minutes or remove the battery to power down the machine now.

woodchip 19:16 27 Jul 2008

Check BIOS settings for Keyboard, it may be classed as USB enable all USB in the BIOS

woodchip 19:18 27 Jul 2008

Check BIOS settings for Keyboard, it may be classed as USB enable all USB in the BIOS

PS why not also try a USB keyboard or PS/2 if you have a socket to connect it to. Just so you can get the Laptop one to work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?