Laptop keyboard unresponsive, spamming instead

Jupescj 04:29 30 May 2017

Trying to log into a refurbished laptop to install a fresh version of Windows 8 but the keyboard is unresponsive and is instead simulating the number 4 being held down making it impossible to log in. All I need to do is get into the bootmenu so either a solution that will disable the laptop keyboard from the log in screen so I can use a USB one or a way to enter the bootmenu without having to log in (no bios menu indication i.e "Pres f12/del to access bios" comes up when powering up) Thank you for taking the time to read and any help will be appreciated!

Kristeen Carter 13:17 30 May 2017

Have you tried to update your system driver?

lotvic 17:05 30 May 2017

Kristeen Carter, duh, read the problem - Number 4 on keyboard is stuck down.

wee eddie 20:02 30 May 2017

Just a possibility:

Remove the 4 key and clean around it. If you have a Canister of Air, give it a blast, but be careful to keep the can upright.

Kristeen Carter 07:02 31 May 2017

@lovtic thanks for pointing out that missing element.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires