Laptop keyboard problem

Pererin 21:59 02 Jul 2008

Hi guys, me again; my son just bought a new laptop and we were entering info which required the (@) key. for some reason when I pressed the key it is printed on I got a different symbol. Have checked all keys and several of them are different to what is printed on the actual keypad. There is not a £ sign anywhere even though it is printed on the number 3 keypad. Any ideas and a question also. Will I be able to assign or change the symbols that appear on the keypads or is there something wrong with the keyboard on the laptop. I have reinstalled Windows but to no avail. Much appreciated as always.:)

PA28 22:02 02 Jul 2008

Your keyboard needs to be set to UK. What version of Windows are you using?

MarvintheAndroid 22:10 02 Jul 2008

You are probably temporarily American. Fear not, the answer may lie in Control Panel under Regional Settings or Regional and Language Options.

Marv

PA28 22:13 02 Jul 2008

That's the reason I was asking what version of Windows, but I guess your answer's quicker Marv! When you get there, set to English UK and you should be done!

MarvintheAndroid 22:16 02 Jul 2008

No problem, pardner.

Pererin 22:27 02 Jul 2008

Using windows XP Pro, have set the Regional settings to to UK. When Windows was installing it gave an option for either US English or something African? and several French options. Thanks for quick response guys.

woodchip 22:33 02 Jul 2008

In Control Panel you have to change it in more than one place, its not like old 98

Pererin 22:38 02 Jul 2008

I'll try that see what happens, cheers guys:)

Pererin 23:07 02 Jul 2008

Thanks woodchip, had changed some of the settings in Regional Languages but not in the details area. Worked a treat, once again thank to you all you are great:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?