Laptop kept crashing & now kaput!

J9Novice 09:39 22 Jan 2007

My laptop, which is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2020 kept crashing. I would detach the battery and then it usually would start up again. I rarely caught the message in blue writing that flashed up before it died. However the last time it crashed the messaged stayed long enough for me to read it. It was “the following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
I went to PC World and they said I would have to lose everything I had stored on the laptop and use the discs that came with it to install every thing again from scratch.
I tried this and I’ve no doubt that I did something wrong but now I can do nothing with the laptop. There is just a blank screen and a flashing cursor (line) on the top left hand corner of the screen!
I’m thinking it will be quite expensive to repair and I may just buy a new laptop, but thought I’d ask on here in case anyone had any better ideas??
You may have gathered, I’m not exactly great with computers. Mostly I just like to check my emails, play a bit of music and surf the internet, but I need it for work as I'm self-employed! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

jack 09:55 22 Jan 2007

This does depend on the nature of the original setup and the discs that came with the machine.
If your are fortunate enough to have a full XP disc
[I assume the original system is XP]
Then try this- indeed try it any way with ever disc you have been supplied with.
Start the machine and when the P.O.S.T comes up press the key it says to access the BIOS.

It is usually delete.
Using the up-down keys select Advanced Bios Settings
Using the up/Down Keys select boot with.
Using the page up/down keys until boot from CD
Press enter.
Press ESC.
Press F10 'Boot with changes
Select Y and enter.
Put the disk in and see what happens
various messages will come up depending on the state the disc HD is found to be in
Report back here with that info and we go from there.

J9Novice 10:07 22 Jan 2007

Thank you for that Jack.
I will try that tonight and report back.
Janine

J9Novice 13:29 26 Jan 2007

Well, I just about managed to get the laptop working long enough to save all my files when it crashed again. After that I just had a blank screen whatever I did so I haven't been able to follow your advice Jack. I will give it another go over the weekend to see if I can get it working, but if I am still just left with a blank screen, what then? I want to throw it in the bin to be honest!!!

Strawballs 13:38 26 Jan 2007

Did it come with a full XP disc or a recovery disc?

J9Novice 13:59 26 Jan 2007

Yes. I have one XP recovery disc and one 'utilities' disc. I have tried putting each one in and it makes no difference.

Strawballs 14:38 26 Jan 2007

If you have tried all the advice without success it could be the hard drive failing.

Which if you do decide to try there is a step by step guide with pictures on changing laptop hard drives in the Feb issue of PCA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 26 Jan 2007

“the following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?