laptop keeps losing operating system

armacomroll 16:58 01 Nov 2009

My laptop keeps losing the vista os. I have tried re-installing windows and it works for a week or two and then happens again anyone with any ideas as to why this happens. Model HP presario C700

woodchip 19:02 01 Nov 2009

What do you mean it loses it? Have you tried starting in safe Mode when you have a Problem? then run restore. You may also need to run Windows File checker.

SFC /SCANNOW from Run

ArrGee 10:14 02 Nov 2009

I have had a similar problem and eventually discovered problem. Whenever I started up the machine with a USB memory stick still plugged in, the PC would return an error saying the OS is not installed.

Upon restarting without a memory stick plugged in, it was fine! Very strange, and I checked the BIOS to ensure USB was low in the start-up list (so I still don't know why this happened!)

armacomroll 10:54 02 Nov 2009

Thanks for your reply but I don't get the option to start in safe mode. I get the option to do a start up repair but then I get the messsage that start up cannot rpair this computer automatically. Windows will re install but it only lasts about a week and I get the same problem.
I think I may need a new hard drive.

woodchip 14:28 02 Nov 2009

Try tapping F8 at startup then choose from list

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:46 02 Nov 2009

Sounds as if you have a bad hrd drive if the op system is crashing that regularly back every thing up before it fails completely.

If the machine is fairly new then take it back under guarentee if older then a new drive is fairly chap but you will need something to clone windows if you do not have a vista DVD.

armacomroll 17:58 08 Nov 2009

Thanks I managed to get the safe mode option by pressing f8 but it brings me back to the same start up message. I have replaced the harddrive and reinstalled windows. Hopefully this will solve it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?