laptop keeps flipping between power sources

lonemascot 18:03 01 Dec 2007

i have a relativly old Medion laptop and just recently its developed a really annoying habit of flipping between battery power and mains when I have it plugged in.

I thought it would be a dodgy connection but even when the laptop is on a solid surface and the D/C cable can't move it still does it.

Also, the transformer makes a high pitched whistling noise and the D/C plug that actually goes into the lappy is well hot.

Other than a bad connection does anyone know what could be the problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 01 Dec 2007

Sounds as if the DC socket on the motherboard has a "dry" joint.

Not an easy job to strip the laptop down to get at it but simple "dob" on the connections with a soldering iron when you do.

lonemascot 19:06 01 Dec 2007

i had a dry joint problem on my 42" plasma, fixed that when the tv repair man said it couldn't be done.

I'll have a look when i get a chance then. cheers.

crosstrainer 19:18 01 Dec 2007

With laptop repair, pay particular attention as you disassemble....Commonly a small membrane runs round the case, this makes the circuit and without it in 1 piece, the machine will not re-boot.

lonemascot 20:11 01 Dec 2007

thanks for the tip i'll be careful

lonemascot 19:48 06 Dec 2007

I dismantled the laptop and yes fruitbat you was right, definitely not an easy job.

i looked at the joint but it seemed okay. I dabbed it and added some extra solder just to make sure but the problem is still persisiting.

I took a closer look at the actual DC plug and it looks like the inside may have melted a little bit, either that or it has been pulled sideways and stretched it.

Is a new transformer with power lead expensive to replace? Could it be a possible solution to my problem?

Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks

amonra 19:55 06 Dec 2007

Have a look in Maplins (or similar) for the same type of plug, cut off the old one and resolder the new, paying close attention to which wire goes where.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?