laptop keeps cutting out

  supawoman 13:02 28 Jan 2008

Can anyone advise me.... we have a sony vaio. It gets really hot, so I bought one of these tray thingys from pc world that jacks-up the back for air to circulate. Also we plug in the battery. But during use, the laptop just suddenly cuts out...the battery doesn't seem to hold any charge. We do get an automated voice saying our battery is full (or low). We just can't seem to use it without it plugged into the mains, but it dies anyway after about 40 minutes and is also very hot. Am I looking at a new battery or the fan? no idea.

  brundle 13:11 28 Jan 2008

Sounds like a combination of the two. Can you hear the fan working? How old is the machine, and has it had the same battery for that time?

  wee eddie 14:06 28 Jan 2008

If the Fan cover will come off give everything a dust with a stiff brush and then a blow with a Hair Drier or similar.

On the Battery not holding it's Charge. How old is it?

  supawoman 15:51 28 Jan 2008

HI, we bought the laptop second hand a couple of years ago.....not used it much....but think it was used a lot before we bought has always had the same battery in it.... I think the fan does go round. I can't seem to find instructions on where to see if the battery is something I can remove to see a part number. Have looked on Sony, but can't find the model number for my laptop. Its a PCG 8J1M

  supawoman 15:51 28 Jan 2008

...Sony Vaio

  birdface 23:05 28 Jan 2008

Hi.Open TaskManager,Processes.And under CPU System Idle Process should be showing about 97% and all the rest about 3%.When there is nothing else there anything else using a lot of the CPU and if so what.[Right click taskbar.Taskmanager]

  birdface 23:10 28 Jan 2008

Have you run any of you security programs,Maybe to many programs running at start up.maybe run C Cleaner to get rid of some of the junk.Have you had Norton on your computer and removed it without running the Norton removal tool.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017