Laptop Keeps Booting Into The Boot Option Screen

Chris Webster 20:35 27 Sep 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to sort out a non booting laptop for a friend.

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1718 Win XP.

When the laptop starts to boot up the Fujitsu Siemens screen comes up as normal but after a short while it goes straight to the start up 'options' screen ( the screen where you can start in safe mode, last known good configuration etc ) it doesn't even get to the XP loading screen.

No matter which option I choose it comes back to the 'options' screen.

If I choose the 'start windows normally' option the XP loading screen comes up, the blue progress bar scrolls along as it should do. After a short while a blue screen with some writing on it flashes up for a second or two then the 'options' screen appears again.

I've booted from an XP disc into the recovery console and a screen comes up which says c:\> but I don't know what to do or type in.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards, Chris.

grey george 21:13 27 Sep 2010

You maybe able to use boot logging :click here
If not there is a guide here for the recovery console: click here

Chris Webster 21:30 28 Sep 2010

Thank you for the links but I'm afraid I'm still non the wiser on how to use the recovery console to try and get my friends laptop running again.

Regards, Chris.

woodchip 21:37 28 Sep 2010

If you use the Exact same OS XP Home Disc needs XP Home not Pro. you can do a Repair. If you have the correct CD as what is loaded you can do a repair by choosing Setup after you boot from CD not recovery console. It will then search the disc for Operating System and should show the one on the Drive, you then click on what it finds then press R. If it needs a Key use the one on the bottom of Laptop

woodchip 11:37 29 Sep 2010

You could try this if you know what to look for. click here

Chris Webster 17:30 29 Sep 2010

Thank you for the info.

The laptop originally came with Vista but for some reason he couldn't get on with it. He took it to his local computer shop and had it wiped and XP Home installed but wasn't given any discs.

The only XP disc I have is my original XP Home SP1a which is for my spare laptop.

So I'm guessing from what you have told me that my disc wouldn't work?

I'm beginning to think that he might be better off taking it back to the shop that originally installed XP for him.

Regards, Chris.

woodchip 17:51 29 Sep 2010

Yes it would work to do a Repair. Start with the CD in the Drive then when its done what it wants to do choose Setup, at this point windows will check the drive for any Operating Systems, when it finds XP Click on it to select the Press R, this should repair the OS you will need to download all Updates again but file should not be lost.

woodchip 17:53 29 Sep 2010

PS if you get it sorted, I would suggest you buy Acronis True Image and create a Image to a External USB drive this can then be replaced to put it back to the time when it was created.

Chris Webster 21:24 29 Sep 2010

Thank you.

Just a couple more questions,

What key do I use if it askes for one, the one on the bottom of his laptop is for the original Vista?

Does it matter that my disc is only SP1a?

Regards, Chris.

woodchip 22:34 29 Sep 2010

Well that would be a good question as you cannot get to Windows to use software to read the one in windows registry

woodchip 22:35 29 Sep 2010

This is your only other way to go click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?