Laptop to join wired network

  wallbash 01:17 04 Jul 2005

Have only a wired network at home, but was asked advice about a new laptop , in a house with a computer already on BB. The Sunday times mentioned the new version of WiFi, dubbed 'n'
So If i rush out and buy the Belkin PRE-N , do I have to buy a new card for the old (ish) desktop OR can you plug a wired machine into a Wireless Router?

To sum up , can you mix wired and wireless

Sorry if this is a stupied question, but have only delt with wires in the past.

  retep888 02:21 04 Jul 2005

Sorry, I don't know much about this Belkin, but surely you can mix wired & wireless.

I have a Netgear DG834GT Modem/router,and a mixed combination of desktops & laptops running on wired & wireless network happily without any problems at all.

If your old desktop came with onboard Lan,you don't need to any wireless card,just connect it to the wireless modem/router or router's switch port with a patch cable like what you did,provided its close to the router of course.


  retep888 02:23 04 Jul 2005

wireless card of course

sorry about that.

  wallbash 10:09 04 Jul 2005

My really dumb question , boils down to , is there a 'hole' for a cable on a wireless router?

  retep888 11:23 04 Jul 2005

It's like a normal router with 4 ports(holes) at the back for normal ethernet cable as well.

You can use it purely for wired purposes now and add your wireless gears later as you wanted.


  wallbash 12:02 04 Jul 2005

Thank you, would have got the answer when I bought the router, but did save me unpacking the box , in the shop , looking bashful

Thanks again

  TomJerry 13:43 04 Jul 2005

if it has b and g modes, your lappy is ok, but you need buy new adaptor to get up to PRE-N speed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017