Laptop Issues!! :@

Obzi91 15:37 04 Sep 2009

Well this morning my laptop has been playing up, since the moment I booted it up. Even from day one this laptop has had heating issues and often the fans would boot up, slowing the whole machine down. Before I list the problems, I'll give you an overveiw of the spec/model

TECH SPEC - AMILO NOTEBOOK PA 3553

* AMD next-generation dual-core mobile processor technology
* genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
* 15.4-inch WXGA display with BilliantView technology
* ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470 Hybrid X2 graphics (256 MB GDDR2)
* ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 graphics (shared memory)
* ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™ technology
* 250 or 320 GB hard disk capacity
* Up to 4 GB memory*
* Integrated SATA SuperMulti-format DVD burner (with double layer support)
* AMILOcam (low-light technology) and digital array microphone for video chatting
* Integrated draft-n WLAN, LAN (10/100/1000)
* Interfaces: HDMI, VGA, eSATA, USB 2.0, IEEE1394 (FireWire™), ExpressCard, S/PDIF, 15-in-1 card reader
* Special Features: silent mode function,
The keyboard is spill-proof up to 50ml. This is enough to protect your notebook from an accidental spill. However, we recommend a backup as well as a system shut-down should liquids come into contact with the keyboard. The spill-proof protection does not prevent data loss caused by water damage. If this should happen, please contact your local customer service desk.
spill-proof keyboard
* Option:Blu-ray Disc™ drive

* Weight: 2.95 kg
* Product design: reveal white or eclipse black

Here is a list of issue that concurred only recently:

- Vista theme turned into "Modified Theme" losing colour and graphics (looks like the old 97' theme in white)
- Clock seems to be in MM:SS rather than HH:MM
- Overheating when booting up
- Laptop keyboard and pad not working
- Not recognising flash drives
- Not regonising the CD drive to be a Blu Ray Player
- Fast animations such as the Vista loading circle spinning really fast/fast flashing cursor
- Having to use external and wireless keyboard and mouse
- When typing "TEST" for example, it would type out TTTTTTEEEEEESSSSSTTT no matter how quick I could press the keys (really fast flashing cursor)
- Blue Screens/Random shutdowns when trying to do system restores and restoring to factory settings
- Issues with browsing and connecting to the internet.

Laptop is still under warranty (purchased 30/12/08)so will probably call up to the shop from where I bought it and ask for store credit or a replacement of a different model. This laptop has been trouble since I've bought it. Do any of the issues mentioned above ring a bell to anyone and if so do they know a fix for it?

Thanks

PO79 15:45 04 Sep 2009

That's an awful load of problems. One thing I would try is to enter BIOS and select "Defualt Settings", F10 out and after reboot see if any improvement happens. It may be your Lappy has been overclocked at some stage, and needs to be reset.

Technotiger 15:47 04 Sep 2009

Peersonally I don't see any point in trying to fix it or sort out any of the issues. I would get it straight back to the store and ask for a replacement asp!

woodchip 15:54 04 Sep 2009

Go into BIOS see if you can turn the fan on so it runs continually

Migwell 16:09 04 Sep 2009

Just take it back. Your pound is as good as any ones, and it is the responsibilty of where you bought it. Don't stand for any nonsence.

You must allow them to try to fix it first, if as in your case the product is over 28 days old. If they can't fix it they MUST do something about it, by way of a refund of the purchase price or a replacement at either the same spec or higher.

Do it today without fail. Be nice, but be firm about what you want them to do.

I hope all goes well regards Migwell

Ps. Don't forget if all else fails you have the sale of goods act on your side.

Obzi91 16:33 04 Sep 2009

I will be taking it back tommorow, I hoping I can convince them to give me a new model straight away so I'm going to be firm but polite. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should say or bring up when I talk to them?

Thanks for the help so far!

rawprawn 16:38 04 Sep 2009

I think that the legal term is "Not fit for purpose" if you are looking for a replacement, but I believe that you will have to give the retailer a chance to put things right before demanding a replacement.
Polite but firm is the best way forward.

Obzi91 16:45 04 Sep 2009

Thanks for the help so far guys

(2) If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must -

(a) repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;

I'm hoping that needing it for Monday for Sixth Form is going to be enough for them to give me a replacement on the spot. Anything longer than Monday would indeed be an inconvenience. Am I correct here?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 04 Sep 2009

I doubt if they will replace that quick, they will say you have had it for 9 months, reasonable as far as they are concerned is more like 3 months so be very careful they do not mess you around until after the warranty has expired.

woodchip 18:14 04 Sep 2009

What about Documents on the Laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?