Laptop issues

molby5 10:34 16 Dec 2008

Hi there,

i accidentally spilled some water on my laptop- i dried it immediately but i have some working issues now.

when i turn it on it makes a lot of beeping noises it finally gets going and loads up- however the screen remains black apart from the right hand edge- when the charger is plugged in it is very very dark and when i pull the charger out more of the screen begins to light up. at one point since i have had the screen working completely normal and last night the right hand side was lit properly but the left hand side was very very dark.
does it osund like it just needs to dry out more or could there be long term damage. also 3 of the keys do not work?

any suggestions

molby5 11:10 16 Dec 2008

would anybody recomend trying to use a dokcing station?

mooly 13:42 16 Dec 2008

The problem with liquid damage (I am an electronics tech and have seen this 100's of times ) is that an electrolysis occurs due to voltage on the components and the presence of the liquid. Even the 3 volt backup battery is enough to do this.
It's not good news. You have to remove affected PCB's and wash and dry them if possible. Long term problems are common and the type of board in a laptop is multilayer so that makes things much worse.
Sorry -- it's probably pancaked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 16 Dec 2008

would anybody recomend trying to use a dokcing station?

defintely not.

I think you are going to have to strip the machine, dry it out properly and have a close look at any damage you have done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?