Laptop to Internet

aitch2 14:38 19 Mar 2008

Being in hospital recovering from a heart attack, I was allowed to use my laptop (HPCompag NX9005)to catch up on some work/ letters. In talking to a fellow bedmate, he said I could connect to the internet and read my emails by using some sort of USB contraption plugged in at the rear. My concentration levels weren't that high, so I missed a lot of his information and details. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I need, so if I have to return to hospital I can at least deal with my affairs in real-time?
Thanks, Aitch

johndrew 16:38 19 Mar 2008

A lot depends on what facilities exist in the hospital near your bed. If you have access to a BT `phone plug which is broadband enabled (many are) and have a USB ADSL modem, it is possible, with some ISPs, to simply plug in and away you go.

I`m not sure they would appreciate the use of a mobile `phone and it could be that WiFi is frowned on also. Probably your best bet is to ask.

Some hospitals use the `bought in` services that hang over the bed, cost a fortune and give TV `phone and internet; so the question may not be appreciated.

They may of course tell you that you are there to rest and they don`t consider surfing to be resting.

aitch2 17:15 19 Mar 2008

Thankfully, they answered all my questions first and were willing to accomodate the use of my laptop. The in-house services were an extortinate rip-off. I limited myself to 1/2 hour every other day and they seemed happy with that, so it didn't impinge on the real reason as to why i was there(rest). Mobiles could be used at one's disgression but those that used them did so in the day room when it was quiet. Hadn't heard of the plug-in, my ISP is orange, but my strength builds over the next few days might amble to PCWorld for breath of fresh air and some enlightenment(?)
Aitch

Conny 20:48 19 Mar 2008

Just to say, congratulations for surviving your attack aitch2 and take things slowly.

johndrew 10:21 20 Mar 2008

Both my daughter and I are with Orange and have found that she can bring her laptop home and use her account from the `phone line here. It seems to be one of the ISPs I mentioned.

Keep well and improve at your own pace.

aitch2 16:24 20 Mar 2008

Thanks guys for the help and advice.
Aitch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?